November 1st. I’ve been awake for approximately 10 minutes.
I’m already guilty that I haven’t written anything.
By 11 o’clock, I have to be on the Max (light rail) taking S to the Amtrak station, so that he can visit his family in Seattle. Then it’s a relaxing 45 minutes on the Max to Ryan’s house, where I will write and be guilty that I’m not writing when I’m not writing. I have my EEE, which means that I could write on the train. I really need to figure out a good way to do that, as the EEE is just little enough that it’s hard to balance on my lap. I have a military Map Bag that has a hard back; I may shift all my stuff into that for the month and see how that goes.
I have, however, decided on a theme for my frantic scrubbings. S suggested I do a collection of short stories, kind of a Weird Tales thing that would encompass a lot of the ‘maybe 8000 word’ ideas I had. It’d be connected, but not one store. This is very very slightly against the ‘rules’ of NaNoWriMo, but, honestly, I’d still be writing 50,000 words of fiction, so I don’t care.
Look at me, breakin’ a rule. I’ve already started the slide into madness.
What I decided to start with, though, has already grown past the ‘maybe 8000 word’ idea it started with. It may take up the whole damn month.
Rocket Robby, you’ll be pleased to know that I’m writing the Portent story. (Rocket Robby was the one who leapt on this concept and has been poking me with a stick to make it into a full-blown story. )
Yes, me and my fairly disgusting superheroine will be spending a lot of time together this month. The world has shifted a bit from the one she started in, though Ryan’s worldbuilding is what created her, and there’s a lot of that still in there. But the scope has changed to encompass the things I need it to.
- Do I have the scenes mapped out, perhaps with salient plot twists and well researched information recorded for easy access. – Uh, no.
- Do I have an outline of my plot? – No.
- Do I have a plot? – Hell no.
- Do I have a modicum of sense? – Apparently not.
Not a good sign that I’m already talking to myself.
Yes, I’m procrastinating. It’s been 20 minutes now, I’ve been awake for a half hour, and I’m still at 0 words.
Things I must do before I start (AKA, LIST OF PROCRASTINATION)
- Download a excel spreadsheet tracker thing. Seems frivolous, but it really helps me. – Done before I posted. yay!
- Decide where the fuck I’m storing this thing. Google docs? What if I’m not online? My flash drive? Perfect… if I knew where the hell it was. Just on the HD of either the Dude (main pc) or Jarvis (the EEE)? But… what if I’m at work, or the train, or… or…
- Yeah, I have no idea. I’ll probably start with Google Docs for now.
- Though, If I can find my flash drive, I’ll use that.
- And what software? I’m partial to yWriter (free, feature rich, small footprint, can be put on a flash drive), but it and Jarvis don’t get along (Jarvis is running the EEE pc version of Linux). Word is like a comfy old shoe, but I know there’s better things out there. Liquid Story Binder XE looks to be perfect, if I was just writing a novel and NOT doing NaNo; it lets you plot things out to a degree that’s amazing. Not free, true, but awesome.
- Get Steve up – woot, done.
- Charge Jarvis – in progress. He only has about a 3 hour battery life, but he charges really quickly. Should be done before we leave.
I need to get going. There will be updates to the blog. Watch this space for insanity.