Posted by mousewrites on July 4, 2008
Well, it’s the 4th of July, I should do a patriotic one… but I’m just not feeling it right now. The rumble and pop of the fireworks sounds too close to what I hear on the news about all the places in the world that it sucks to be right now. So, instead, I’ll do a Steampunk Fiveday.
Five cool sites about Steampunk. (not counting that link.)
- The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles. Cool blog, and even cooler forum. Friendly and inventive, the gents and ladies therein will assist you with any issue or question you may have. With sub-forums for everything from textual to textural, fiction to fabric, it’s a great place to get your feet wet.
- Æther Emporium. Wiki-style compendium of links. Nice place to go diving for Steampunkery.
- The Steampunk Workshop. The home of the rock star of the Steampunk subculture, Jake von Slatt. More about him below, but the workshop is a blog of nifty cool. Many links abound!
- Steampunk Magizine and forum. I actually buy this zine analog, at Powell’s, but it’s online for free. Stories, interviews, and, amazingly, full patterns and recipes for delectable things such as spats or leather aviator helmets. One issue even had a ‘how to live in the falling down wreckage of your city’ section. It makes me so happy.
- Dr. Grordborts Infallible Aether Oscillators (pictured), are a line of immensely dangerous yet simple to operate wave oscillation weapons. I want one so badly that my palms sweat looking at them. I can almost feel the cool, textured grip, smell the ozone and the iron… gah. I swear, if I had an extra 800$ lying around, they would be mine!
Bonus! Five steampunk names you should know.
- The previously mentioned Jake von Slatt (pictured). Maker of amazing items, such as the Victorian all in one PC, Steampunk Strat, and tutorials on etching and electroplating. He’s rather shy, but he’s undoubtedly one of the big names in Steampunkery at the moment. And, if he ever sees this, Yes, Jake, you do clean up nice.
- Datamancer. If you haven’t heard of him, I’m rather surprised you even have read this long into the post! He’s the creator of the amazing keyboards, goddamn fucking beautiful laptop mods, and other awesomeness. And he’s hot. Don’t tell him I said that, though.
- Abney Park. Steampunk band. Beloved (by more than just me) for their stage persona as well as their music.
- Dr. Steel. The mad scientist version of Abney park. Think labcoat spattered with rust instead of blood. Oh, and toys. Lots of toys.
- Agatha Heterodyne. The heroine and title character of the Girl Genius universe. Great webcomic, and analog comic too, come to think of it. I own a amusing card game based on them. Note that the Girl Genius creators don’t consider themselves Steampunk, because of it’s darker connotations. They prefer ‘Gaslamp Romance’.